Monday, November 8, 2010

Etsy Germany Steet Team Sellers: dilettant

Name: Amanda Bell

Location: Munich

Etsy Store: dilettant
Blog: dilettantknits.blogspot.com

What do you make and sell?
I make hand knitted accessories: shawls, cowls, hats and belts, as well as crocheted jewelry. All of my items are made using my own original patterns.

How would you describe your style?

My style is comfortable and understated, with a touch of quirk. I'm a big believer in wearing one statement accessory, and that's what I make. I like to play on classic shapes with an unexpected twist.


Is this your full time work?
Since moving to Munich a few months ago for my husband's work, dilettant has become my full time job by default.


Where do you do your work?
My workspace is in the back corner of our living room. It's the width of an Ikea desk. There is, however, yarn stashed all over the apartment, so I guess my “studio” is encroaching on our living space.

What item has been a ‘best-seller’ in your Etsy store?
After my first cable knit belt made the Storque blog, it sold almost immediately, and my shop saw a ton of traffic. I only wish I'd been better prepared with more inventory, or a listing for made-to-order belts.

What are some goals for your Etsy store?
I have many goals for my Etsy store right now, as dilettant is still in the “getting off the ground” stages. I think getting involved in the community is going to make a big difference to that effect. I'm trying to suss out what works and what doesn't in terms of getting my items viewed and purchased. It's been interesting to see what strikes a chord with shop visitors. Better photography is a constant goal. In the longer term, I'd like to start writing up and selling patterns.

What do you see as some of the benefits/potential benefits of being part of the German Etsy Street Team?
Through the German Etsy Street Team I hope to learn more about the nitty-gritty details of doing business in the EU and Germany in particular. I'm also looking forward to connecting with like-minded people in my part of the world. Working from home can be isolating, especially as a recent expat who doesn't speak the local language all that well yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment