Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Etsy Germany Steet Team Sellers: Katheyl


Name: Katherine
Location:
Munich, Germany
Etsy Store:
http://katheyl.etsy.com
Blog:
http://katheyl.livejournal.com
Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Katheyl-Handmade-Jewelry/62392588784
Twitter:
http://twitter.com/_katheyl

Tell us a little bit about what you make.
I make jewelry pieces which revolve around the themes of whimsical, vintage, oriental and nature.

What are some goals for your Etsy store?
Hmm....I don’t have big plans for the store since I’ve only re-started it 3 months back (I launched it in 2007 but neglected it because I was too busy with my full-time job). Am taking baby steps right now but eventually, I’d like to have a distinctive style in my works and also create different lines of jewelry that cater to different occasions and age groups.

What item has been a ‘best-seller’ in your Etsy store?
Ah...that’s a tough question since I don’t really have that many sales to begin with, and most of my items are either OOAK or come in limited quantities. But so far, I’ve noticed that I’ve sold a few Frosty White Rose Ring (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=41554230). Maybe it has got to do with the cold, snowy weather.

How would you describe your style?
It’s a mixture of things that I love and who I am - a touch of whimsical, vintage, oriental (that’s my heritage) and nature (I was a volunteer with the Singapore Zoo for 7 years). I also like to keep my designs simple and clean.

Is this your full time work?
Yes. I’ve been doing this full-time since I moved to Munich 4 months back. When I was holding a full-time job in Singapore, I had tried juggling work and running my Etsy store but it didn’t quite work out. It’s difficult to do so when work zaps the life out of you at the end of each day and week. So when I finally left my job in the Executive Search industry to join my husband in Germany, I suddenly have all the time in my hands, which is perfect for me to work on my store.

Where do you do your work?
We are staying in a loft apartment which is tiny but cosy. The space is a little tight right now so I don’t have a work studio. I basically do everything on a white table which my husband bought for me. It’s not a big one but I don’t mind (at least for now!) ‘cos I can be really mobile! Right now I’m parking myself near the radiator but when the weather turns warmer, I should be sitting by the window.

How would you like to see Etsy develop in Germany?
Now that Etsy has taken a step forward to set up an office in Berlin, the limits are endless for both Germany and Europe! It would be great if they could introduce the local artists, who are not on board of Etsy yet, to the Etsy audience (who are generally more familiar with USA sellers) as I’m sure there are many talented ones around. That will create more awareness for both artists and buyers. And like many others have mentioned, I’m looking forward to the currency conversion system too.

What do you see as some of the benefits/potential benefits of being part of the German Etsy Street Team?
It’s definitely about getting to know like-minded people whom I can exchange ideas with! I’m very new in this part of the world so I’m definitely looking forward to making new friends and learning more about the culture. And it definitely doesn’t hurt if I get to pick up some German language along the way!

2 comments:

  1. That's a wonderful interview of Katherine!
    Thanks for introducing her to us, Eleanor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You to Katherine -
    and Thank you to Eleanor, you make a wonderful Job!!!

    ReplyDelete